Monday, September 15, 2014

2014 JCS Christmas Ornaments Issue Review

The new JCSCO issue is now available online in download form (click here).  Being me, although I'll be purchasing a "hard copy," I had to download the issue as well.

In my opinion, the "gotta stitch" ornaments offered last year were many ... more so than in previous years.  This year's offerings have kind of gone back to those prior to 2013.  I did find a few "gotta stitch" ornaments in this issue, however, so without further adieu, here are my Top Nine for 2014 (I couldn't find ten).  They are listed in the order in which they appear in the magazine. Photos of individual ornaments are sadly unavailable at this time.

1.  NOEL - Pickle Barrel Designs.  Maybe it's the word NOEL appearing on this ornament, but there's something about it I like.  Features a banner with the letters N, O, E, & L, separated by snowflakes.

2.  Joyous Square - My Big Toe Designs.  The word JOY designed the way only MBT can design it.  This will be one of the first ornaments in this issue that I'll be stitching!

3.  O Holy Night - Faithwurks Designs.  Extremely simple, quick-to-stitch ornament.

4.  Faith - Nikyscreations.  A primitive angel design. One of my favorites!

5.  Come & Behold Him - Fancy Work.  A simple design honoring what Christmas is all about.  I love it!

6.  A Woodland Wish - Blue Ribbon Designs.  I was lucky to find a download photo of this one.  I love these woodsy designs by BRD.   I'll be leaving off the date though.  You know me & dates   : )
7.  Three Crowns - Cherished Stitches.  There's a whole section of bird designs in this year's issue.  I can't say much for any of them, but this one calls to me.

8.  Star of Wonder - The Stitchworks.  A lovely design of a shepherd snowman looking up at the Christmas star.  Beautiful!

9.  Let It Snow - Dames of the Needle/Finger Work. Dames did a great snowman design in last year's issue (Windy Night, page 56).  This year's ornament has the same kind of whimsy.

And there you have it!  This review probably doesn't mean much to you without photos to accompany my choices, but as photos become available I will add them.  

19 comments:

Ele said...

Lovely choice. Being based in Italy, the printed copy is not an option if I wish to stitch anything in time for Christmas 2014! So I downloaded my copy. Will compile my list too, good idea!
Happy stitching

KimM said...

So many lovely patterns in the magazine, aren't there?? So much to stitch…..hummmmm - I'd better rev up needle and thread!!
xxx

gracie said...

I found some that I hope to be able to stitch. This year, rather than wait for an issue, I subscribed to the digital one....glad that I did.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I got my copy at the weekend and have been enjoying it. I haven't made a list but we overlap on the Noël banner and BRD design too.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on your chosen pieces.

Michelle said...

Thank you for this Shirlee my copy is on order. Like you I had a lot I liked in last years issue xx

Robin in Virginia said...

I pick up my copy this weekend. I already know that the BRD ornament is a must stitch (I love the deer). Looking forward to seeing your process on the must stitch ones!

Robin in Virginia

Natasha said...

I picked up a copy at my LNS today I found a few to stitch but not a ton as in years past. I am always a fan of MBT, BRD

Annette-California said...

Love your list of choices:) I got mine in the mail Saturday! so many great designs. love Annette

Pam in IL said...

I'm off to download my copy. I usually find more ornaments I want to stitch each time I look through an issue and I hope that true for this one as well.

Anne said...

I am definitely like you and prefer a hard copy too :D I still need to go get mine! Your choices look great and I'm one for BRD too. The woodland animals are so cute! Hugs!!

The Inspired Stitcher said...

It's fun to see your list. I picked up my hard copy last Friday and started the "Faith" one right away! Love it!

stitchersanon said...

I stopped buying it because one year it just seemed like they put so little effort into it and the recipes a 100 ways to use boxed cake mix. I love to see other stitchers views on it as well and I love your top choices. I havent seen them all yet but will make sure I keep an eye out for them as they are stitched by everyone!

Simple Pleasure said...

So many to stitch...so little time...difficult choices ahead. I look forward to seeing your creations!
Busy Hands...Happy Heart
Patricia

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I stitched and finished two ornaments in the issue :) you didn't choose those ;) ha!

Jackie's Stitches said...

I like a hard copy of the ornament issue. Just not the same looking at it digitally for me. I need to go pick up this edition soon!

The BRD ornament is one I've seen many stitchers say they like!

Minnie said...

Love your choices, I have the mag so I could follow along with each one.

Kaisievic said...

I am waiting for mine to come from my LNS and then I will be able to stitch away! I will look out for your top choices because I know that they will be the best that there can be.

Carol said...

I hope mine comes soon--just ordered it this week. I love going through older issues and finding designs that I want to stitch which I passed over in previous years!

Chris said...

Hey Shirlee!!
Love the ornaments that you have picked. I think that there are some great ones in this issue. I look forward to this every year.
Miss you my friend!